Unit 18, Silicon Business Centre, 28 Wadsworth Road, Perivale, Greenford, Middlesex UB6 7JZ
Institute of Jainology was formally founded in 1986 on the basis of compassion and non-violence towards all living beings; the fundamental principles of Jain philosophy. Its mission is to propagate Jainism and its values through art, culture and education. The Institute is managed by Directors who are also the Trustees and represent Jain organisations and philosophy in the UK as well as abroad. In addition to being a member of the RE Council, the Institute is also an active member of the Interfaith Network UK. It undertakes publishing Jain literature, catalogues of Jain manuscripts in the UK and websites conducive to learning Jainism. The Institute has established good working relations with reputable organisations such as The British Library, The Wellcome Trust, Bodleian Library at Oxford, Victoria & Albert Museum and other faith organisations. In association with these organisations, the Institute has successfully hosted national and international events.
Contributions to RE
Institute of Jainology has a multifaceted approach to contribute to RE in this Country:
- Publication of books suitable for Primary school: DISCOVER JAINISM and JAIN TALES
- Development of website conducive to learning: www.learnjainism.org This website is FUN learning with guidance for teachers and offers several resources for teaching Jainism.
- Development of worldwide resource for those interested in learning about Jainism: www.jainpedia.org This website is at the highest level of quality of graphics and text with glossary.
- Institute of Jainology delivers courses on Jainism on request. Originally the courses were delivered under the banner of Birkbeck University of London.Now, courses are offered to any organisation which is willing to organise, administer and facilitate the delivery. Courses have been delivered in the UK, Kenya, Singapore, Malaysia and Australia.
- Institute of Jainology organises delivery of lectures in Jainism at universities on request.
- If a school desires presentation at their assembly, a scholar is assigned to deliver suitable talk/presentation.