APPG on RE
An All Party Parliamentary Group is a group which exists to support a particular cause and has membership from across the political spectrum.
The RE Council provided the secretariat for the All Party Parliamentary Group on Religious Education between June 2012 and January 2016. This section is about its work during this period, including its aims, membership and activities.
The aims of the APPG from June 2012 to January 2016 were to:
- promote the highest possible standards of religious education in schools, colleges, universities and academies,
- press for continuous improvement in religious education,
- promote a clear, positive image, and public understanding of religious education and
- advocate that every young person experiences a personally inspiring and academically rigorous education in religious and non-religious worldviews.
Click here to read about what happened at the launch event.
The minutes from the meetings of the APPG while the REC provided the Secretariat for the group can be downloaded here:
- Meeting of 28 November 2012 - transcript for the first oral evidence session
- Meeting of 16 January 2013 - the APPG inquiry into the supply of and support for teachers of RE held its second Oral Evidence Session. The full transcript of the session can be downloaded here.
- Launch of the APPG report 25 March 2013 - Download a one page summary document of the report's main findings and recommendations, or dowload the full report. Click here to read the minutes of this meeting.
- Meeting of 8 July 2013 (AGM) - Click here to read the minutes of this meeting.
- Meeting of 10 December 2013 - Inquiry into the contribution of religious education to good community relations - Oral Evidence Session 1. Click here to download the minutes of this meeting.
- Meeting of 27th January 2014 - Inquiry into the contribution of religious education to good community relations - Oral Evidence Session 2. Click here to read the transcript.
- Meeting of 24th February 2014 - Inquiry into the contribution of religious education to good community relations - Oral Evidence Session (3). Click here to read the transcript.
- Launch of the APPG report 17 March 2014 - Download the report on RE and good community relations. Click here to read the minutes of this meeting.
- Meeting of 9 July 2014 (AGM) - Click here to read the minutes of this meeting.
Update bulletins were sent to members of the APPG on a regular basis in order to keep them informed about news and developments.
Issue 1: March 2013
Issue 2: April 2013
Issue 3: July 2013
Issue 4: Autumn 2014
RE: the Truth Unmasked, published in March 2013, was the APPG's first report. It examined evidence about the supply of and support for teachers of RE, finding a worrying and deteriorating decline in both. It drew on evidence from schools, other bodies and individuals concerned with RE and from two substantial oral evidence sessions at APPG meetings. The full report can be downloaded here and a one page summary document here.
The contribution of RE to good community relations was published in March 2014. It drew on evidence from students, teachers, local authorities and organisations working on this issue at local, national and international levels. The summary report can be downloaded here. The evidence submitted during the three oral evidence sessions at APPG meetings can be seen in the Meetings section above.
A longer, more reflective report on the evidence submitted was written by Dr Joyce Miller, who coordinated the inquiry, and is available to download here.